Planning: Casting

Casting is a crucial part of my music video. Not only does the image of the person have to be correct, but they need to have the right type of personality to feel comfortable lip-syncing, and essentially performing in front of a camera. 

My music video requires only one cast actor, a male, who appears to look between 16-18 years old. The person can't be unattractive because my target audience is female, and I think they are more likely to respond to a video featuring a male than a female. 

The video I plan to create won't feature any lip-syncing or performance element in regards to the song. It will instead entirely consist of a story, featuring this person. 

There will be other people in the video. Part of it will be set in the town centre, where it will be near impossible to control who ends up in the video. This makes it pointless to need to cast them. 

Potential Actor 1: Tonicha Hughes




Tonicha would be a very good person to cast for my main character in my music video. Tonicha is a drama student so I know she would have confidence in front of the camera and wouldn't disrupt the filming like some of the other potential cast. However, I decided near the beginning of my planning process that I wanted the main character to be male, because I think that with the story being how it is, it's more believable being told from a male perspective. The only negative with choosing this route is that the song os sung by females, so this could potentially be a confusing stumbling block for my audience. 

Potential Actor 2: Oliver Iarrobino 



Oliver is a strong candidate to be the main actor in my music video. He is the correct balance for me between shy and outgoing. He has a versatile appearance, meaning that he would suit both of my characters, both scruffy and clean. I don't think he will have an issue with acting in front of a lot of people and on camera. 

Although he has the potential to mess around, I think he is one of the more serious candidates I am considering, so I shouldn't expect filming to be a hardship. 

Potential Actor 3: Jack Gardner




Jack will have no problem with acting in the video as he is not shy at all. However, I'm concerned that should I cast him, he will disrupt the filming process making it difficult to film, especially if I aim to complete it in one day. Also, his acting capabilities are more comedic, and this video will be a much more serious role for him, and I'm not sure how he would cope. 

Overall I have chosen Oli to star in my music video. I believe that he will take the music video very seriously and will be reliable when it comes to availability for filming. His free lessons match up up with mine more or less so during school time is ideal for filming. I am going to appear in Oli's own music video so I will not act up in his, in the hope that he will repay me in my own. My video requires no lip syncing, so that is a positive because I don't think he would cope very well with lip syncing.